Saturday, April 16, 2016

Review: The Heir (The Selection #4)

This is the fourth book in the series and might contain spoilers for the previous books!

by Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #4
Genres: Young Adult, Dystopia, Romance
Publication date: May 5, 2015
Published by: HarperTeen
Paperback, 342 pages
My rating: 4/5 ★
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.

The Heir is one of the books I was super excited for before it came out but then when I actually had it, I never picked it up. But now, almost a year later, I decided it was time, and I don't regret it. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and it gave me everything I had wanted from it: a fun and light read that I finished quickly. From all the mixed things I've heard, my expectations were quite low and therefore I was pleasantly surprised. 

A lot of people seemed to dislike the book because of the main character and I can understand that but at the same time I don't feel the same way. I found Eadlyn to be quite irritating and I feel like if the story had been told from anyone else's point of view, she would definitely be a character I wouldn't like. As it is, I actually found it interesting to read from her perspective. I liked that Kiera Cass created a flawed and rather unlikable character and didn't try to somehow cover it up and give reasons that would make Eadlyn's behavior okay. Some things she says and some of her actions are simply awful and she doesn't even realize it, and there's no excuse for that. She is spoiled and arrogant and pretty selfish. I think it is her way of trying to handle a job she clearly isn't qualified for and I don't really blame her for it but that doesn't mean I like her because of it either. 

At the same time, I think Eadlyn has some very admirable qualities. She is proud, and she hates to be looked down upon for being a young woman (especially because she will be the first female ruler IllĂ©a). Even though she is very insecure at times and unsure whether she can handle all the pressure her job brings, she doesn't think she needs a man by her side in order to rule a kingdom. I loved that. She also tries really hard to do a good job at being a princess and future queen, and her dedication definitely shows a more mature side of her. 

Overall, I think Eadlyn is exactly how I would imagine an 18 year old future queen to be. Obiously, she has grown up very privileged and that makes it hard for her to actually understand the problems and challenges the 'common people' face. But she wants to be a good queen, and she tries to do the best she can under the circumstances, even if it backfires more often than not. 

I'm really interested to see how the story will continue, obviously also because of the huge cliffhanger at the end! I hope Eadlyn will be able to open up a little, but I also want her to stay true to herself. I mean, it's not like it's impossible to find love if you're not the kindest, sweetest soul in the world. People will love you for your flaws too, and I hope the next book will prove that. I'm also very curious to see how the uprisings in the country will be faced and resolved. 

This book turned out to be a positive surprise for me and I definitely intend to pick up The Crown at some point. If, like me, you have been debating whether or not to pick up this book because of the mixed reviews, I encourage you to give it a go!



No comments:

Post a Comment