Tuesday, August 4, 2015

July 2015 Wrap-Up

Hello there, I'm here today with my (quite late) July Wrap-Up.

What I Read

I read a total of nine books in July, which is okay. But considering that July is usually my best reading month of the year, I'm quite disappointed by this number. At least, the reading month was good quality-wise; lot's of five star reads! But anyway, here's what I read:
  • Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson, ★★★★★
  • I really enjoyed this book and wrote a full review here. Morgan Matson has never disappointed me and has definitely made it onto my list of auto-buy authors. Her books are all perfect to read during the summer and Second Chance Summer was no exception.

  • The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski, ★★★★★
  • I was very positively surprised by this book. I've had it on my shelf for almost a year but never actually picked it up for some reason. I regret it now, believe me. I loved the story and the characters of The Winner's Curse and had to continue on with the second book right away.

  • The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski, ★★★★★
  • The sequel definitely lived up to my expectations, even though it broke my heart a little with every page I turned. I need to know what's going to happen next and can't wait for the third book! If you haven't started this series, do it right now. I promise you won't be disappointed.

  • Vicious by V.E. Schwab, ★★★★★
  • Another amazing book that I read in July. Everyone seemed to love this book and from reading the synopsis, I just couldn't really imagine why. I understand now, believe me. Vicious was a fantastic book, very unusual but perfect in its own way.

  • I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios, ★★★★
  • I wrote a full-length review about this one as well, which you can have a look at here. This was almost a five star read for me and I would highly highly recommend it to everyone. Not your typical YA contemporary but that was exactly what I loved so much about it. And the romance. Don't get me started on the romance *swoons*.

  • Angelfall by Susan Ee, ★★★★
  • Angelfall is another book that I've had sitting on my shelf for almost a year. When I now finally picked it up, I got really attached to the story and couldn't really stop until I had read the entire trilogy.

  • World After by Susan Ee, ★★★★
  • The second book in this trilogy was just as good as the first one. I love the characters of this series but there were some plot holes in the story and I wasn't very intrigued by the apocalyptic world that Susan Ee had created but overall, this were solid four star books for me.

  • End of Days by Susan Ee, ★★★★
  • A good conclusion to a good series. I somehow wasn't too happy with the ending but overall I liked the third book as much as I did the first two.

  • The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden by Jessica Sorensen, ★★★
  • The only book I read in July that I didn't like that much. Jessica Sorensen's writing was a little too much for me and everything was just very dramatic. This is probably why many people don't like New Adult but it has never bothered me before. With this book, however, it was just too much and I considered putting it down a few times. I'm glad I made it through, though, and the ending was the reason I ended up giving it three stars. It annoys me that I'm actually curious as to what will happen next because I don't think I will ever feel like picking up the sequel.

That's it for the books that I read in July. It was a really great reading month quality-wise (lots of five star books!), so I'm happy with that.


What I Bought

I bought seven books this month, which is quite a lot but I just don't have my desires under control.
  • Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell – Exclusive Collector's Edition!
  • Of course I already own a copy of Fangirl but I just couldn't resist the beautiful Collector's Edition covers any longer. Plus, I 'only' had the paperback edition and hardcovers just look so much nicer on my shelves. And Fangirl is like my favorite book of all time, so I kind of justify buying the same book twice with that.

  • Snow Like Ashes by Sarah Raasch
  • I have almost bought this book so many times and now it finally made it into my hands. I'm excited to read it at some point because I've heard really good things about it. Somehow, the synopsis sounds intriguing and not interesting to me at the same time. Hopefully, I will be positively surprised by this one.

  • The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
  • I did not like Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater but since this series has way better reviews, I thought I would give Stiefvater another try. I'm planning to read it this week for the BookTube-A-Thon, but we will see.

  • An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
  • I feel like everyone is talking about this book and it sounds pretty epic, so I bought it! Can't wait to see what it's all about.

  • World After by Susan Ee
  • As you already know, I have already read this book but of course I needed a physical copy of it so that Angelfall wouldn't be so lonely.

  • End of Days by Susan Ee
  • I had hoped this would arrive before I finished World After, but no such luck. I ended up finishing the ebook a few days before the actual book arrived but it still looks pretty on my shelf with its two friends, so it was totally worth it.

  • Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headly
  • My most recent purchase and therefore also on my TBR for the BookTube-A-Thon. Honestly, I just love feathers and after reading two good reviews for this book, I couldn't withstand the cover any longer. Now I'm just hoping it will be as beautiful on the inside as it is on the outside!

August TBR

Except for my BookTube-A-Thon TBR, I haven't really thought about what I want to read this month. I do want to read more books than I did in July, though, so hopefully I will manage that.


On the Blog

This is very disappointing, I only uploaded three posts this past month. I really hope to post more from now on and I'm blaming my various vacations for the disappointing result. Anyway, here's what I did manage to write:


Other exciting things happening in August

NOTHING. I'm working all month and don't have much planned. But two of my friends are getting married which is super exciting. One wedding was last Saturday and it was so much fun and the bride was so beautiful and everything was perfect. I'm definitely not planning on getting married anytime soon myself, but I do love weddings. The next one will be this Saturday and I'm looking forward to that a lot as well.


That's it for my July Wrap-Up. I hope you had a great month with lots of sunshine and happiness. 

What's your favorite book that you read in July?
Anything exciting going on in August?



No comments:

Post a Comment