Monday, April 13, 2015

Review: The Mistborn Trilogy

Sooo, I finally did it! I finished the Mistborn trilogy and I am feeling very accomplished and happy and, most of all, SO MUCH LOVE for these books. I don't think I've ever written a review for an entire series before but I have to talk about Mistborn on here, otherwise the past few weeks would feel like a waste of reading time.

Let me start by saying that, overall, I loved this series. It takes place in a very unique world with a complicated and deep background that I loved to learn more about with each book. On top of that, there is a great variety of characters who are equally as unique and interesting. I enjoyed getting to know all these people and meeting new ones throughout the books. They all had their faults but also their good sides and that made them feel very real to me. But what really made this trilogy stand out to me was the world building and originality of the magic system. This is not to say that I didn't like the characters because I did very much and I would love to have all of them in my life. They just didn't feel like the main focus of the story compared to other books I've read. For these reasons, I would recommend this trilogy to anyone looking for a good fantasy story who is more interested in the big picture rather than individuals to fall in love with.

I don't want to give anything away about the plot of the series. I went in not knowing much at all and I think that's the best way to do it. All you need to know is that some people in this world can draw different powers from metals they digest. That should catch your interest, trust me.

The first book in the trilogy was a great introduction to the world and the characters. I remember feeling much more attached to them in the beginning than I do now. We learn about the basics of the magic system, the different societies and their basic problems. I love how much Vin, our main character, developed and grew in this first book. Overall, everything was off to a perfect start.
by Brandon Sanderson
Series: Mistborn #1
Publication date: July 17, 2006
Published by: Gollancz
Paperback, 643 pages
My rating: 5/5 ★
In the second installment, things weren't as simple anymore. I usually hate when things become too complicated and seem too hopeless but due to all the action and excitement, I still couldn't put this book down and again, I loved every second of it. Also, despite the fact that our main characters faced some pretty impossible odds at times, I still felt confident that they could beat them, like I was just waiting to see how they would do it.



by Brandon Sanderson
Series: Mistborn #2
Publication date: August 21, 2007
Published by: Gollancz
Paperback, 763 pages
My rating: 5/5 ★
I kind of lost that feeling in the third book, which is part of why the last installment was my least favorite in the trilogy. Now, things really did seem hopeless. The story wasn't nearly as action-packed as in the first two books and it seemed to drag on a bit at times. What bothered me most, though, is how I kind of lost my connection to the characters. For some reason, I became less and less interested in the people I had loved to read about in the first and second book. 


by Brandon Sanderson
Series: Mistborn #3
Publication date: October 14, 2008
Published by: Gollancz
Paperback, 724 pages
My rating: 4/5 ★
Also, because there was less action involved, the story focused more on the thought process of each character and on how they figure out the last secrets of the world they live in. And then everything was resolved rather quickly in the end and in a manner that didn't fully satisfy my need for closure. It all became too big and too abstract and I just didn't like that very much.

I'm trying not to let these slightly disappointing last few chapters taint my perception of the entire trilogy because overall, as I said, I loved the story. It really is brilliantly thought out and almost every revelation of information along the way made total sense to me even though I hadn't figured it out beforehand. I was always surprised when someone discovered something new and that is what I want to feel like when reading a book.

I would give the trilogy overall a five star rating, even if the last book couldn't quite live up to that. I will also certainly have a look at Sanderson's other work in the future when I'm in need of a well thought out story. Now, everyone who hasn't done so already should sit down and read these books.

Have you read the Mistborn trilogy? 
What are your thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment