Sunday, August 10, 2014

My Trip to Norway


Hello there. As you may know, I got back from my holidays in Norway last Sunday. I finally manged to sort through all of the pictures and find a few that I want to show you, so here I am. 

My dad, his girlfriend, my sister and I spent a great week in Norway, driving around the south of the country. We stayed in Sogndal, Bergen, Stavanger, Arendal and Kjøvangen and saw a lot of the beautiful landscape Norway has to offer. Overall, I fell in love with Norway. It's a beautiful country, very green with lots of trees and forests and also so much water. If not a fjord, there's lakes everywhere and I think nothing could ever be better than living next to the water.

When we arrived at Oslo airport Saturday morning, we rented a car and drove for about 5 hours to our first stop, Sogndal. Sogndal is a lovely small town and our hotel there was absolutely beautiful. The view from our room was breathtaking as we could see directly onto the fjord in front of the hotel.


The next day it was already time to leave Sogndal and drive to Bergen, one of the biggest cities in Norway. The drive there was amazing as we drove through the countryside. That evening we went for dinner in beautiful Bergen but as we would spend the next day in the city too, we didn't do too much sightseeing anymore.





On our day in Bergen, we walked around the town a bit and then went up the Ulriken mountain where we got an amazing view of the whole city. Unfortunately it started raining soon and we had to hide inside for a few hours before we could continue with exploring the city. Bergen is such a beautiful city but with more than 300 rainy days a year, I can't imagine actually living there. Even though we didn't happen to visit the city on one of the rare sunny days, I didn't let that keep me from taking some pictures.



On Tuesday, we left Bergen and headed for Stavanger. The drive there was very different from what we've seen so far. We drove along the coast and there were houses scattered everywhere but hardly a town anywhere. I love the typical Norwegian style of buildings and we could see so many of these on our way to Stavanger. Another nice aspect of our journey was going from one small island to the next along the coast that are either connected by a bridge or a tunnel or by a ferry. Stavanger itself is so pretty too. It was probably my favorite town we've visited. The old town was so cute and I couldn't stop taking picture of every small house in this amazing style.


On Wednesday, we already left Stavanger behind again and drove to Arendal. We stopped in a few very small towns on the way there; I don't think I will ever get used to how beautiful these are. Arendal itself is another pretty but rather small town at the coast. As you can see, the weather was finally back to warm and sunny again.


On Thursday, we then headed to our last destination of our trip: Kjøvangen. On our way there, we stopped at a few places and took some beautiful pictures at the coast before arriving in Kjøvangen. This small village is about an hour from Oslo and we stayed with relatives of my dad's girlfriend in a beautiful holiday house with seaview. As the weather was back to sunny and very warm here, we also went swimming and just had a very relaxing few days there. On Friday and Saturday, we drove to Oslo to do some sightseeing in the capital before flying back home on Sunday.


Overall, I had an amazing trip and I fell in love with Norway. If you have never been there, it's definitely worth a visit and I'm sure I'll go back someday.



No comments:

Post a Comment