Tuesday, April 1, 2014

How I Met Your Mother

Okay, so I'm an emotional wreck over here. I just watched the very last episode of How I Met Your Mother. My favourite tv show ever. I can't even tell you how much I love it. And now that I actually just watched the last episode, I don't know what to say or think. I can't believe how it ended. I can't believe it!

If you haven't seen it and do not want to be spoiled, don't read this. Because I can't possibly talk about it without spoiling it. I loved the episode and at the same time I didn't like it too much. I've been so prepared for all happily ever afters but of course they weren't going to do that. Of course! I mean, it's HIMYM we're talking about. HIMYM is a brilliant show that a lot of people enjoy, not just women. It's brilliant because it's not all love and happiness but also somewhat realistic. And of course this brilliant show wasn't going to end in "yes, you were right all along, it turned out just as you expected." This is How I Met Your Mother. Not a cheesy romantic tv show. Not How We Were All Happily Ever After And Our Love and Friendship Never Faded And Nothing Bad Ever Happened.

So here are some things I wanted to talk about:

Barney and Robin get a divorce
To understand how I feel about this, you have to know that Barney and Robin were my favourite couple of HIMYM. I've always wanted them to be together and yes, I did like Barney with Nora and I liked Barney with Quinn even more. And yes, I did like Robin with Ted (more on that later). But Barney and Robin were just the best. I was so incredibly happy for them to get married. And I don't think I will get over the fact that that marriage didn't last.

I mean thinking about it now, it does kind of make sense. Theoretically speaking. Not considering the fact that IT JUST CAN'T HAPPEN! Okay okay. Yes, it makes sense. Barney never wanted to get married. Robin never wanted to get married. How are the two of them supposed to live happily ever after as a married couple? But still, they both changed so much and them being together started to make more and more sense. Yes, I'm still not happy about this. But moving on.

The mother dies
This was the most unexpected thing ever! How could they do that?! I had to watch the scene where Ted says "And I carried it with me when she got sick." about a thousand times to actually understand what he's saying. I still can't believe it. I loved Tracy! She was absolutely brilliant and I loved every little thing we got to know about her. She was the perfect woman for Ted. And then they kill her off so he could be with Robin? I get it, the whole story was mostly about Robin. Yes, it makes sense. Again, it really does. It's just not what I expected at all.

Ted and Robin do actually end up together
Don't get me wrong. I love Ted and Robin. I've rooted for them at the beginning. But at some point I gave up on the idea of them actually being together. There were just so many signs that they wouldn't be. And of course that's because when Ted's telling the story, they weren't actually together yet. And of course the whole story is more about Robin and how Ted has always loved her than about anything else. So, again, it all made a whole lot of sense. But I started to actually like the thought of Ted finally getting over Robin. Like completely 100% get over her. And meeting someone else. I know, he did meet someone else, he had a very very very happy marriage. I'm sure he was head over heels in love with Tracy McConnell.

And no, I don't think that Ted had been in love with Robin when he was with Tracy. But I can imagine that, with Tracy gone for 6 years, Ted would finally move on and find his way back to Robin. I mean, 6 years is a long time and I think that just shows how much he loved Tracy and how much he must have been devastated after her death. So I guess I can live with Robin and Ted being together. I had just always assumed that the mother and Ted would be together for ever. I mean, that was the whole point of the show, wasn't it? No, it wasn't. It was about Ted telling his kids how he met their mom. Never about what happened after that. But still.

Marshall and Lily
I love Marshall and Lily and I'm so glad that they're happy and that they're having another child and that everything seems to have turned out perfectly for them in the end. I'm glad to hear that Marshall still got to be a judge and, yes, I really enjoyed all the judge-jokes. I'm glad that there wasn't any major surprising moment here because I think that would've been too much. Lily and Marshall have just always been the one constant thing during all that's happened. I love that that didn't change.

So I guess, as I've said a thousand times, it all made a lot of sense. And that goes to show how awesome HIMYM is. No, it didn't end like I expected it. But it also didn't end in a way that I can't accept. It all just came together somehow. Everything fell into place and everything (yes, I'm going to say it again) made perfect sense. Of course Robin and Ted were going to end up together and of course he would steal the blue French horn for her and of course she had all her dogs back and it was all just like the very beginning of the show. That's just wonderful to see. And even more wonderful to see was Barney having a daughter and her being his one true love. Back when I still thought Barney and Robin would be together for ever, I was actually kind of sad about the fact that they could never have children. Seeing Barney with James' children gave me the feeling that he should have kids. No, not to give them gigantic pet snakes but because you could tell he absolutely loves children. And I'm glad things kind of turned out alright for him.

And I loved that there was actually a point why Ted was telling his kids the whole story. Because he was asking for permission to ask Robin out. What kind of a great dad is he?

I don't know what I'm going to do now with no new HIMYM episodes to look forward to. I can't believe the show's ended. For real. Please send some help!



No comments:

Post a Comment